An Overview of Treatment for a Herniated Disc in Manhattan, KS
Any time there's a numbing or weakness throughout your body, oftentimes a bulging disc can be the perpetrator of the pain and inflammation. Our Manhattan chiropractor at Sorell-Iversen Chiropractic Clinic has dealt with herniated disc symptoms throughout their established career. For decades, we believe there's no reason to suffer from back or neck pain associated with a herniated disc, and our mission is to set you on a path of pain-free living.
The Causes of Herniated Disc Symptoms
Most herniated discs are directly related to age-related, traditional wear and tear on the back area. As the aging process unfolds, the discs lose their elasticity making them unable to retain the moisture that keeps the area flexible and smooth. Once a herniated disc is active, one of the rubbery, jello-like cushions between the bones of the vertebrae slips out of position. The softer cushion pushes out through the tougher exterior of the spine, resulting in nerve pain, numbness, and weakness in the arm or leg.
There is no surgery required to treat a herniated disc, although our Manhattan chiropractor can help you restore mobility to the lumbar and cervical areas of the spine minus the pain.
To pinpoint the exact cause of a herniated disc requires tracing your overall wellness through health history and thorough exam by our professional team at Sorell-Iversen Chiropractic Clinic. We offer specific ways to treat and avoid further pain associated with herniated disc symptoms.
There are risk factors as well, including:
• Weight - Extra weight causes more stress on the discs on the lower back. Our team offers individualized nutritional counseling to benefit a healthy weight goal.
• Genetics - You might be predisposed to developing a herniated disc if it runs in the family, which is why our health history tracks any background problems associated with spinal issues.
• Occupation - If your job involves heavy lifting, twisting, loading, bending sideways, pulling, and pushing in repetitive motions throughout the workday, chances are the risk of developing a herniated disc increases.
Prevention for a Herniated Disc
We recommend the following guidelines to lessen the exacerbation of bulging disc symptoms:
1. Exercise - Strengthening the upper torso muscles that surround the back help immensely.
2. Proper posture - Paying attention to how you sit and how you walk reduces the likelihood of a disc slipping.
3. Maintain a healthy weight - Keep your weight within your BMI (body mass index) guidelines to avoid stressing the lower back.
No need to suffer any longer!
Schedule an appointment with our Manhattan, KS chiropractor today and learn more about the ways to reduce your back pain and increase your happiness.